SPLIT CHICKPEA & MUNG DAL WITH SPINACH
Updated: Mar 24, 2020
Love me a good mixed Dal situation, don't ever try say if you've had one kinda lentil its like you've had them all..HELL NO..each lentil has a different texture a different flava a different post digestive effect (yeah the last one took it a lil deep) but u get what im trying to say...each lentil brings something different to the table! This combo of mung & chickpea lentils with some aromatic spices & veggies is a perfect one pot wonder!
🍽 S E R V I N G S
🥗 I N G R E D I E N T S
½ cup split yellow mung lentils
½ cup split chickpea lentils
2 cup water for soaking
4 cup water for cooking
2 tbsp coconut milk ( optional)
1 cup fresh spinach leaves roughly chopped
½ cup chopped zucchini
½ cup chopped carrots
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
FLAVA FLAVE (VAGHAR)
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
¼ tsp asafoetida
2 star anise
¼ tsp turmeric
½ tbsp grated or finely chopped ginger
10 curry leaves roughly chopped
1 tsp Garam Masala
¼ tsp chopped green chillies (optional)
🌿 T H E M A G I C
1. Soak lentils overnight or for at least 2 hours before cooking. Wash the lentils thoroughly in a sieve until the water runs clear.
2. Start the instant pot in sauté mode and heat oil in it (if using stove top then you can follow the same instructions minus the buttons!)
3. Add cumin seeds & mustard seeds, let them pop, and then add asafetida.
4. Add ginger and sauté for a couple of seconds, following curry leaves and star anise.
5. Pour in the water and the lentils.
6. Cook for 20 minutes till the lentils start losing their shape and combine with the water.
7. Now add the zucchini and carrots, place the lid on and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes until the vegetables are soft and dal reaches desired consistency (I like this Dal to be quite thick and creamy!)
8. Once cooked, add the coconut milk, spinach and mix.
9. By this time, your one-pot vegetable dal will have a thick and smooth soup-like consistency. To finish, stir in the lemon juice,garam masala, and fresh coriander.
♡ Sprinkle a little love, say a sweet prayer of gratitude, and nourish yourself. ❤️