Updated: Mar 24, 2020
Khandvi is a famous Gujarati recipe made from split chickpea flour..this is one of my favorite favorite Indian dishes..I used to get my mum to make it everytime I would come back home from college..the process can be a litttttle tricky but once you get the feel of it you will be obsessed! I'm definitely going to do a video on this to show you how its done because I cannot have you missing out on having this in your life!!!
BTW, the traditional way of making it is in rolls, but this is a slightly simpler way using a noodle machine that you can buy off amazon or in Indian stores 😊.
🍽 S E R V I N G S
🥗I N G R E D I E N T S
2 cup chickpea flour
4 cup water
1 ½ tsp salt
3 tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp turmeric
½ tbsp ginger paste
FLAVA FLAVE (VAGHAR)
3 tbsp oil
15 curry leaves
1 tbsp mustard seeds
2 chillies chopped (optional)
¼ cup shredded coconut (fresh ideally, but I used dried and it was still great)
1 tbsp sesame seeds
Handful of hazlenuts or peanuts (with skin)
🌿 T H E M A G I C
1. In a large mixing bowl add the water and sieve in the chickpea flour. Whisk all the noodle ingredients in until the mix is smooth and lump free
2. Pour into a heavy bottomed, non stick cooking pot and place on low to medium heat. Continue to whisk as the mixture thickens to avoid any lumps forming ( imma tell you now, you'll get some serious arm muscles if you make this often 😂). Keep mixing on the heat for about 10 minutes..( if this is the first time you're making It you may want to taste it to make sure it is cooked and you can't taste any flouriness!)
3. Once cooked, working quickly use a spatula to quickly spread thinly across a non stick surface (you can spread a little oil on your kitchen top but better to use the back of a steel plate or a non stick chopping board like the one used in the picture below) place some cling film over the top and roll out evenly. Let it cool for a couple minutes then cut into strips and begin to roll them tightly
4. If you are making them into noodles, I bought this noodle press machine from amazon and used the medium thick sized plates. Pack the mix into the machine and start turning the handle and move across your serving plate, keep doing this till the mix runs out and add more till all your mix is finished.
5. For this, you add the oil to a small pan and heat, add in Add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and chillies and cook until the mustard seeds have finished popping. Add in the curry leaves, then coconut, sesame seeds & nuts. Stir till combined and then pour over the Khandvi.
6. I would recommend having this with the coriander & mint chutney!
Picture taken from google, because I was silly and forgot to take method pictures 😂
If the flour used is old, khandvi will break while rolling.To check gram flour is fresh or not, mix 1 teaspoon gram flour with 1 teaspoon water and if the mixture is sticky enough then it is fresh. Old flour has less stickiness compared to fresh one and it tastes little bit bitter.
ALSO the longer you leave it to cool in the pan it will form lumps and thicken..so work as fast as possible 😊
♡ Say a little prayer, do a little dance, sprinkle a little love, and serve with happiness ❤️