Updated: Mar 30, 2020
So I first came across pumpkin pie because of Radhanath Swami (my spiritual guide and teacher), I had heard it was a childhood favorite of his, along with cheesecake and so I began experimenting with all the different kinds of ways I could use pumpkin in deserts because I cook for him a fair amount and I wanted it to be different every time 😂...and then I thought WELL WHY DON'T I MERGE THE TWO FAVORITES...so this was one of my experiments which turned out pretty damn good! A pumpkin pie and cheesecake in one..infused with a whole lotta gratitude and love! 😊
🍽 S E R V I N G S
🥗 I N G R E D I E N T S
Homemade almond oat biscuits or cookies of choice I've used simple mills crunchy cinnamon biscuits here and they're perfect for this! )
4 tbsp melted vegan butter or coconut oil
1 cup raw cashews ( soaked overnight or for at least 1 hour in boiling water)
1 cup coconut cream ( either a can of coconut cream or use the top part of a coconut milk can that has been kept in the fridge ideally overnight or for a couple of hours!)
8 ounces vegan cream cheese
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
½ cup pumpkin puree
2 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
½ cup maple syrup
1 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 cup pitted medjool dates
¼ cup maple syrup
½ tsp cinnamon
½ cup coconut cream ( either a can of coconut cream or use the top part of a coconut milk can that has been kept in the fridge ideally overnight or for a couple of hours!
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp coconut oil
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup pecans
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp coconut sugar
🌿 T H E M A G I C
1. Preheat your oven to 350 F or 175 C. Prepare your tin, ideally you should have a 9 inch spring form pan at least 3 inches deep.. cut a circle of parchment paper the same size as your pan base and line the bottom of your pan, use a little oil or butter to stick the parchment paper down and then grease the sides of the pan.
2. Add all the base ingredients to a food processor and mix on high to fine crumbs
3. Press mixture into the bottom of the tin and make sure it is evenly spread and packed tightly, refrigerate while you make the filling
4. Add all the filling ingredients to a blender and blend until silky smooth, there should be no lumps bumps or bits!
5. Pour the filling over the crust and spread evenly, lift the pan and give it a little tap tap on your kitchen surface ( not sure if its a thing but it feels fun and also helps get a even spread out of the filling)
6. Bake for 50 mins - 1 hour until the edges look dry and the center is a little jiggly but not liquid at all when you shake it.
8. While the cheesecake is baking..and before you lose track of what you need to do next because of the enchanting smell of cheesecake baking...FOCUS and make your caramel !
9. Place your dates, vanilla, cinnamon, coconut oil & salt into a food processor or blender and mix until the date forms a huge ball, keep mixing past this point till it starts to separate again and become smooth.
10. Once smooth, keep the processor on and scoop out the coconut cream from the can, slowly add in the coconut cream, continue processing till smooth and creamy and make sure to stop it frequently to scrape down the sides, this whole process takes about 10 minutes.
11. Pour caramel into a bottle and set aside till serving, this caramel can be left outside, doesn't need to be refrigerated.
12.Seeing as your cheesecake is still baking its time to make the topping!
13. Add the topping ingredients to a food processor and pulse a couple times until the pecans are roughly crushed, place in some Tupperware and set aside till serving.
14. Once the cheesecake is baked, let it rest at room temperature for 20 minutes at room temperature then transfer into the fridge to let it cool and firm up for at least 2 hours ( it can be made the day before also and stored in the fridge, but just cover it up after its completely cooled !) Add the caramel once the cheesecake has cooled.
15. Before you serve the cheesecake remove it from the fridge for about ten minutes, and sprinkle the topping over
♡ Sprinkle some love, say a prayer of gratitude and serve with a smile! ❤️