Jaffa Cakes - Chocolate Orange cakies (cookie/cake)
Updated: Mar 29, 2021
This recipe is adapted from Nadia's Healthy Kitchen jaffa cake recipe. IT IS SOOOO GOOOD!! OMG also i cannot believe jaffa cakes is a UK thing...I CANNOT BELIEVE CHOCOLATE ORANGE IS NOT KNOWN WORLD WIDE!!!!! I AM IN SHOCK !!!! My US friends hadn't even heard of the concept 😱😱😱😱😱. I was so excited to introduce them to this BRITISH DELIGHTTTT!!
Makes: 20 small ones
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
cool time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
🥗 I N G R E D I E N T S
For the cakies
1/2 cup gluten-free flour (I used Bobs red mill in the USA and doves farm in UK) 1/2 cup almond flour 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda 3 tbsp butter/coconut oil, melted 3 tbsp maple syrup 1/2 cup milk
For the Jaffa jelly
1/2 naturally sweetened marmalade (St dalfour is my favorite)
1/2 tsp agar agar powder
1/2 cup water
For the chocolate topping
100g dairy-free dark chocolate
🌿 T H E M A G I C
1. Preheat your oven to 160C/350F 2. In a bowl, mix together the flour, almond flour, baking powder & baking soda, give it a good mix 3. Pour in the butter/coconut oil, maple and milk. Mix to combine. 4. Lightly oil a mini muffin tray and transfer 1/2 tbsp of the batter into each of the muffin tray cups ( if you are using a normal muffin tray you will need about 1 tbsp) 5. Bake for 10 minutes. Leave to cool completely and remove from the tray onto a cooling rack
To make the orange jelly
1. Add all the jelly ingredients into a small saucepan and give it a good whisk.
2. Cook on a medium heat until it starts to boil for about 3 minutes
3. Pour into a plate or tray and place in the fridge to set
4. Once the jelly has set use a small cutter (smaller than the base sponge) to cut small circles of jelly
Fill a pan with water half way and place on high heat on the stove.
Place your chocolate into a heatproof bowl and place ontop of the pan ( make sure the water is not touching the bowl with the chocolate.
Heat till chocolate melts
To assemble 1. Top each base with a jelly ring
2. Drizzle melted chocolate on top
3. Transfer to the fridge and leave for about 10 minutes until the chocolate has set
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days ( if they last that long!!)
♡ Sprinkle a wholleeeeee lot of joy, say a prayer of gratitude and serve with love