Updated: Apr 4, 2020
These lil thangs are great nibbles! Rice flakes & sweet potato make the inside super fluffy and soft and then when you sautè them with the spices they get all crispy and cute on the outside.
🍽 S E R V I N G S
Serves 2 people
🥗 I N G R E D I E N T S
2 cup rice flakes (poha)
2 medium potatoes or sweet potatoes cooked and mashed
1 tsp salt
½ tbsp oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp corn starch
FLAVA FLAVE (aka VAGHAR)
2 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp asafetida
1 tsp cumin (jeera)
½ tbsp mustard seeds
2 tbsp sesame seeds
¼ cup peppers
10 curry leaves chopped
3 tbsp liquid aminos
½ tsp salt (optional)
🌿 T H E M A G I C
1. Soak the rice flakes in water for about ten minutes till super soft, then use a strainer and drain out all the water.
2. Mash the cooked potato and rice flakes together, add lemon juice, salt, oil, and corn starch.
3. Use a tbsp measurement utencil to make into small balls.
4. Use a steamer or a deep pan, if you don't have a steamer, and fill 1/4 with water. Add a little stand at the bottom to hold a steel plate on top and place balls on that (the plate should not be touching the water). Close the lid and steam for about 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile make the vaghar: add oil to a pan and heat, then add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Close lid and let them pop.
6. Add the rest of the spices and the peppers and saute them till soft. Lastly, add the liquid aminos.
7. Preheat oven to 425˚F, once the balls are steamed, and let them cool a little. Place the rice balls on parchment paper on a baking tray, brush with oil, and cook for about 10 minutes till the balls become crispy. Keep checking on them and turning them regularly - You can set the oven to broil also for 5 minutes to make them extra crispy!
8. Add to the balls to the vaghar mixture and toss till the spices coat the balls.
♡ Say a little prayer, do a little dance, sprinkle a little love, and serve with happiness ❤️