CREAMY RED LENTIL DAHL WITH CURRIED CAULIFLOWER
Updated: May 28, 2021
Dahl is something I've been fed since I was a child. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was one of the first few foods I was given. It is pretty much a staple in an Indian household. Throughout the week, my mum would make different varieties of Dahl: moong Dahl, split chickpea, red lentil are just some of the few. All of these can be made in 100 different ways, so there was never a dull moment at our dinner tables :). I don't often have red lentils, but when I do I absolutely love them! They feel a little creamier and heartier than other daals and topped with a little yogurt...DAHLICIOUS!
🍽 S E R V I N G S
⏰ T I M E
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
🥗 I N G R E D I E N T S
1½ cup red lentils (or lentil of choice)
3 cups filtered water
1 cup green beans finely chopped
2 tbsp vegan butter
1 cup coconut milk
Spices 2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
½ tbsp grated ginger
½ tsp turmeric
10 curry leaves (fresh or dried)
1/4 tsp asafoeteda
1 tsp garam masala
½ tbsp chopped green chili
1 tsp salt
1 tsp beetroot powder (nightshade-free option) OR 2 tbsp tomato paste - for a deeper color
3 cups cauliflower roughly chopped
1 tsp curry powder/garam masala (I really love the Whole Foods curry powder!)
2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
¼ tsp pink Himalayan salt
🌿 T H E M A G I C
1. Preheat oven to 450F
2. Rinse red lentils till the water is clear and all cloudiness has gone.
3. Heat the vegan butter into a heavy-bottomed pan. Once warm, add in the cumin seeds & mustard seeds and let them pop and brown. Next, add in the fennel seeds, ginger, curry leaves, and chili. Sauté for a couple of minutes, then add the tomato paste and let it cook for a couple minutes in the oil
4. Add in the green beans, red lentils, water, asafoetida & salt. Cover with lid and leave to cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes
5. Meanwhile prepare the curried cauliflower by combining all ingredients and tossing the cauliflower till it is evenly coated by the oil and spices. Evenly place the cauliflower on a baking tray, then place in the oven for about 15 minutes till golden brown and soft.
6. Add turmeric, garam masala, and coconut milk to the Dahl and cover with lid again on medium heat for another 10-15 minutes. This allows the dahl to become super creamy and thick, if its a little thick add another 1/4 cup of water.
7. When serving, add the curried cauliflower and a little vegan yogurt. You can pair this with either some seriously fluffy naan or some simple basmati rice.
♡ Take a deep breath, say a little prayer, sprinkle a little love & serve with gratitude.❤️