CHERRY BAKEWELL TART
Updated: Jan 30
As summer is approaching, I'm really going towards fruitier deserts. So to kick the summer off, I started with this tart!
This is a classic British dessert! It combines a buttery, tender shortcrust pastry with a filling of cherry jam, frangipane (almond fudginess), and toasted sliced almonds. OOOWEEEE you're in for a treat. I kid you not I kept in and ate a little slice every night for 5 days..that was a gooood week 😂😂.
🍽 S E R V I N G S
1 Pie, serves 6 - 8
⏰ T I M E
prep time: 30 mins
cook time: 45 mins
total time: 75 mins
🥗 I N G R E D I E N T S
2 cups spelt flour
2 tbsp maple syrup
3-4 tbsp non dairy milk
¼ tsp sea salt
3 tbsp coconut oil or vegan butter ( kept solid in fridge for at least 10 minutes before using)
Compote ( or you can use a readymade compote/jam)
2 cup mixed frozen cherries or mixed berries
¼ cup coconut sugar or maple syrup or monk fruit sweetener
1 tsp lemon zest
2 cup almond flour
1/3 cup aquafaba ( water from the cans of chickpeas)
½ cup maple syrup
1/3 cup butter
1 tsp almond essence
20 cherries ( for topping)
🌿 T H E M A G I C
1. PREPARE PASTRY: Combine the flour and coconut oil in a mixing bowl and rub it into the flour with your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs. Then add in the maple syrup and gently bring together to form a ball - do not kneed. You should not need any more liquid, but it often depends on what your flour is like, so if it's not coming together add extra nondairy milk or water little by little - add very carefully, don't just pour it in. Then wrap the ball in cling film and put it in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the tart ( about 15 minutes).
2. MAKE COMPOTE: Add all the compote ingredients into a small pan and cook at medium heat till the fruits have broken down and come together. Once it is done, if it's a little lumpy you can give it a quick whiz in the blender so its a little more jammy and smooth.
3. ROLL PASTRY: Preheat your oven to 350°F/170°C and take the pastry out of the fridge and place it on a nonstick surface with a sheet of cling film on top and roll ( this makes it easier to roll). You can roll between two pieces of parchment paper too. Roll the pastry to the desired thickness and then lay onto the base of the greased tart tin (I used a 10-inch tart tin ). You can go up the sides with the pastry or just do the base like I did. With a fork, pierce the pastry evenly across the base and place back into the fridge for about 20 minutes.
4. BLIND BAKE: Take out of the fridge and line the pastry case with a piece of baking paper and fill with baking beads or rice - this prevents the pastry from shrinking or puffing up. Place in a preheated oven for about ten minutes.
5. FILLING: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the butter almond essence and maple syrup. Once combined, add the aquafaba and keep whisking till it all comes together. Next add in the flour and whisk. Finally, add the almond flour bit by bit till it all comes together, smooth and rich! '
6. ASSEMBLING: Once the tart case has been blind baked, start layering. First goes the compote, add a good juicy layer of it. Then put it in the fridge for 10 mins ( this makes the filling easier to spread on top). Add on the filling - as much as you can possibly fit in the tin and then top with as many cherries as your heart desires!
7. BAKING: Place onto the middle shelf of your oven and bake for about 45 minutes till golden brown on the top (time may vary depending on the ingredients you used, so keep an eye on it). Once baked and ready, remove from the oven and let it cool a little before trying to cut it. I know it's hard because it smells SO DAMN GOOD and the caramelized juicy cherries be calling you, but your patience will be rewarded haha.
8. SERVING: Sprinkle some sliced almonds, serve with ice cream, or my coconut cashew cream.
♡ Say a little prayer, do a little dance, sprinkle a little love, and serve with happiness ❤️